Thursday, November 16, 2017

Subie Mile Stone; Farewell Giant Bike; Hello, New Trek Bike!

A Mile Stone!  

Yeah Subaru!
Hooray for Subie!   Japanese engineering done in the USA at its finest!   I remember when my Dad bragged that he "Might" get the Oldsmobile Delta 88 over 250,000 miles. ( He did I think.  three engines, two transmissions,  and loads of other parts missing)   I guess 250,000 miles was a HUGE achievement for cars back in the '80's.  Now,  with foreign cars ramping up the standard.... things tend to last longer.
Japan and US Team Work in Action!

Still,  Japanese vehicles lasting that long seems more common.  This will be the third Subaru to get over that many miles.   Cheryl does not want me to chat about this much.... Superstition  and all..  But I thought it would be worth noting on the blog.  Go Go Subaru!

Twisted Chain 

In addition to that,   My bike has finally bought the farm....  Coming from Iowa,  that might not seem like a bad thing...  But this is.  The chain kept slipping off the rear gear box.   I could see that the chain was twisted.   I thought I could patch it up quickly, ( All you need is a pair of pliers and a strong twisting action....  What could go wrong?)  but all I did was break it permanently.  Goodbye bike chain...  forever!

Quick fix!  What could go wrong?
No problems!    I was going to take it into the shop later anyway.   I guess I would simply move that visit up a few weeks.  The Problem was the diagnosis:  "Your bike is a goner!"

Looks like a new bike!   I like Blue.
Costs as much as fixing the Old one.
The guy could fix it up...but it would cost as much as a new one.   AND the very frame of the bike was rubbing against the car rack... causing the frame of the bike to weaken.   They would have to replace the gears, brakes, chain, and front tire.  Basically everything that could be replaced...and put it on a broken frame.  What good is that?!?!



My first choice. 
Disk brakes!
So,  A month before Christmas,  I had to pick out a new bike.   I should also note that this was happening : "Before we have very much money".   The stockings are selling,  but there is not that "comfortable pile of cash" in the bank that allows discretionary spending.  (When is there ever?)

Better Gears and 29" tires.   And I like Green.  
$75.00 more than the Blue one. 
Thankfully, I got Cheryl's permission.    I even sent her pictures of the bike I had in mind.    I could have bought a similar  bike for $350.00...  and I considered it.   But the bike that had many of the things I wanted, costs an additional $75.00.  ( And it was on SALE!)  Cheryl graciously said I should buy the one I want.    29 inch wheels ( as opposed to 26 inch)  and Disk brakes instead of rims.  I have yet to take it out and ride around on it... but I have high hopes.


Cheryl in warm weather.
Cheryl in cold.   See the grumpy?
The Cold weather has moved in and Cheryl has had to change her running attire as a result.   She is not very happy about running in heavy gear.   The week is supposed to warm up again later.    I had to chase her around in the Subie this morning...  And tomorrow is her day off of running.   I won't get to ride around on the bike until Saturday.   I can't wait!   I'm sure Cheryl can't either.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails