Monday, November 13, 2017

Running in Mist and Frost.

Misty Day.
And cold!
 A foggy morning this morning.   Most of the fog is gone now, but a little still lingers.   With temps down around 25 degrees,  the frost build-up on the Subie was noticeable.   I forgot that I left my bike on the back and, as a result....I had to scrape off the frost from my bar-mitts and seat.   Making the bike ride just a little bit colder.
Cheryl runs in a frosty wonderland.

Watch out for Tractor Crossings!
The good thing about foggy days is the total lack of wind.    Without wind,  the cold is almost tolerable.   Cheryl even overheated around mile 4.  To me, it felt like I was in a McDonald's Cooler the entire time.   At least I was dressed appropriately.

Frost that looks like Thorns!

Even on the trees!  So fragile.
Another rare item was the frost.   I have not sen frost like this since I was above the Arctic Circle.   The ice crystals formed these thorn-like structures that gave the illusion of snow, even though there was no snow on the ground.   By the time Cheryl turned around,  the ice had melted and the effect was gone.   Such a wonderful and fleeting moment we were able to experience and capture on film. 

Cheryl chases  the Tracks.

Looks like it is a heavy one. 
As with Iowa City,  Cheryl rarely runs alone.   Although the type of runner changes when we go out to Kewash.   Today,  She was running with Deer...  We never really saw the deer,  but judging from its tracks....  it was heavy!   Since there was only one set,  I would think that it was a buck.   (Probably because that is all I have been thinking about lately)
A rather large Buck Rub... Who's could it be?


A Doe looking for Casanova .
We did manage to see a large doe in the corn,  but she was no where near that area.   In fact,   I found a rather large rub near her area;   that suggests she was looking for this monster as well. Ah,  to be in Iowa and in Love....

Subies Tire Fixed!
Reggie,the Local Tire Guy

I got the tire fixed while Cheryl started scoring.  Looks like it will be an "off stocking" day because she has to score a full 8 hours.    I will see if I can get ahead for tomorrow with what I can.

Reggie's Trophy.
Reggie is a champ when it comes to changing tires.   No appointment necessary.  Simply drop in and he fixes it.   My suspicions were confirmed as he pulled out a nice sizable nail out of the rear tire.   Fifteen minutes and fifteen bucks and I was on my way.    Speaking of Bucks,  Check out Reggie's Trophy.   About the same size as the one we saw two days ago.
Car hits Deer, Or in our case,  Deer hits Car!

 Even the news paper warns against the sudden craziness of the deer.  I guess that is what Hormones will do to you.  Interesting stat:  Iowa ranks #2 in the nation for Car/Deer  accidents!  That is a surprising stat.  I'm surprised Michigan is tied at #8...  ( with Minnesota)  But the rankings change from year to year.  I'm not surprised they break into the top 10.
Iowa is #2!  Yeah!  I think....

Cheryl scores.  Eth Blogs....
So the tire is fixed,  Cheryl is scoring, and the frost has melted away.   Looks like I'll be trying to occupy my time today with something meaningful.   I'm not sure what that is at the moment,  but looks like I will have some time to figure it out.   Thanks for stopping in.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails