Saturday, May 23, 2009

Wood Nymph day 4, an evening at the beach.

So I only spent a couple of hours on her this afternoon before we headed to the beach to watch the sun set. Most of the work was done last night in the dark, I was able to shape the upper torso a bit more and slim the arms and slightly detail the hands. Hands are still giving me trouble because they are, once again, slightly out of my reach. I'm not sure how much of the fingers I want to reveal anyway. This afternoon I worked on her hair and cleavage a bit. Her chest is just wrong but I don't know if I can fix it. Her abdomen is sunk in lower. It's hard to explain, but it just looks wrong. Anyway. I will most likely clean her up a bit but removing some of the tool marks here and there. Perhaps I'll even sand her down a bit, But that will ruin the "sheer" finish the chisels make. We'll see how motivated I am. As mentioned before, We went to the beach. Lake Michigan is one of the largest bodies of fresh water in the world. We live three miles away from it and it's great to visit in the evening because it is usually a whole 10 degrees cooler by the shore than inland! ( Lake Michigan is ALWAYS cold!) This year the lake is up about 20 ft! I remember in the 1970's the lake water levels were so high they were causing houses to erode into the water. ( million dollar home ca put!) then from the 80's to the 90's the water receded, adding large tracks of coast line. Now it is back up and we will once again be bombarded with news stories of how the lake is going to consume us all! Cheryl and I had a little fun playing with the sun tonight. First I tell the sun to stand still, Then I try to grab it with one hand...then two. Finally Cheryl holds out her hand to catch the sun drips. We will probably have fun here until July 4th. When the beach will be swarming with people. Hope your long weekend is going great as well.

2 comments:

Bob Tinsley said...

Ethan, the problem with her chest is that it is too broad. A woman's breasts wrap around her chest a bit. Watch Angelina Jolie in Tomb Raider when she walks into the closet. You'll get the idea.

Bob

The Great Ethan Allen said...

I was looking at some stone sculpture online and found a picture I can go off of. Cheryl says I made her a little too big and that is what is causing my problem. I agree, since the wood is rather narrow for her shoulders and I can alwasy take more off but can't add more on... I'll see if I can small the up a bit.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails