Saturday, May 23, 2009

Wood Nymph day three.. I think

Ok, I'm not really sure how long I have been working on her. But she is finally taking shape. In fact, I was working on her well past midnight tonight. It's not too hard with a head lamp and a ton of Bug repellent. So this is how far I got this morning. I didn't take any pictures in the dark. Now I'm off to sharpen the chisels once again. SMALL NEWS FLASH! Sam Maloof died . If you don't know him, you probably have never read a wood working magazine or book. He's a legend! And there is rarely a monthly publication without his smiling face or a piece of his work. It's a sad day for wood working around the world.

4 comments:

Carapace said...

Oh, I love it! Is it for a client, or for personal work enjoyment?

Bob Tinsley said...

Lookin' good! I noticed you've moved her chin and lower face back into the wood. Good choice! Makes her look less like she's getting ready to kill someone. ;)

Bob

LynnAnne said...

I see where you are going with this lovely lady. I have several wood carvings from a friend who told me the wood will tell you what it wants to become and suggest features with grain, knot holes, etc. Please post pictures as this lady evolves!

The Great Ethan Allen said...

Bob, It's true I thought she looked a little "mean" before. I also thought she was looking a little to "native america." and that was not the idea. Her face was too flat and nose and lips too big. Hopefully she is a little more presentable and "ambiguous" when it comes to her race. I may have to start over on anothetr tree and make her face less flat from the get go.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails