Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Autumn Rain Brings Out The Inkies!

Cheryl laughes at Danger.
Another evening of mist and rain with an occasional splattering of sunshine.  You would think that the overcast sky, high humidity and 65 degree temps would be "just right" for running... But it is not.

Running in the  sunshine.
Well, it is an improvement from the 98  and scorching sun.   But the humidity keeps things clammy and stuffy.   Unless it is windy.   Then it becomes too cool and layers of clothing must be added.    Who knew being a runner could be so taxing?

And leaves.
And...Mud?
This is why I enjoy the bike.   I have few complaints and enjoy my outdoor experiences.  And it allows a sloth like myself to feel superior to every else in the world.  And I need that confidence booster.


Did the ducks scare you?
How deep was that water?
It also allows me to navigate mud and puddles better.  Sure, I still get wet and muddy, but I can at least cross the challenge, rather than surrender to the ducks.

Large Stinkhorns are all tapped out.
Say Hello to the Common Ink Cap.
But more importantly, I get to spot Mushrooms along the trail.   With the water receding ever so slightly,  the Fall Mushrooms have finally made it to the stage.  A new species that we have been waiting for...  the Inkies!


And Another?

Another version of Inkie?
There are lots of species in this group.   Tippers Bane.  (Fun to Eat with Beer!)  Common Ink Caps and The Shaggy Mane. (Shaggy Caps) This was the first time I have seen the Common  Ink Cap.


Ever wonder where the name comes from?
Would you want to eat this?
 These guys spring up and begin to dissolve when they spread their spores.   It is a fitting name for the behavior.    I'm not 100% sure how "edible" these particular guys are.   Chances are, people pass over them because of the "Ewww!" factor.   Very few people enjoy eating black slime.
They may look cool...
Butdon't touch the slime.


At least the Tippers Bane and Shaggy Cap have a proven track record.   Tippers bane was deemed highly prized...  Until they discovered the side-effects when eating it with Alcohol.  (Take a really bad hangover,  double it!)  Now it is considered "toxic".    So I will not be enjoying any beer with any Inkies.


Finally!  Shaggy Manes!
Cheryl selects the fresh ones.
As for the Shaggy Cap.   Not much in the line of taste... But Highly Medicinal!   They suck out Heavy Metals when they grow.   And these properties can be used to "de-toxify" your body if you eat them.   Goodness  knows I have way too much lead and mercury in my diet already.   I could use all the mushroom help I can get.

Make sure the gills are white.
Of course the intake of heavy metals can also be bad.   For instance:   Collecting and eating Shaggy Caps from Chernobyl!   (Remember Chernobyl?    Nuclear Melt Down in Russia?   Hello?  Am I showing my age?)   It is true that eating Shaggy caps from a contaminated site could have reverse effects.  But we found these guys along the trail.   And if the river is polluted, then we are already contaminated  every time we go to Iowa City already.  I'll take my chances.


Shaggy Mane Gills.
See the freshness!
Common Ink Cap gills.
One thing to look out for is the Gills of the Mushroom.   Inkies rapidly decompose!    It is always best to eat the fresh ones with the whitest gills.   I have heard/seen people on You-Tube eating them when they turn black;   but I have eaten older mushrooms before,  and the flavor/quality suffers.  Best to eat the young ones.


More running!
Time to Go?
Other than that, I just enjoyed them with an omelette.  Since Shaggies are a "Known quantity"   ( I have eaten them before and lived to tell about it)  Cheryl says I can eat them.   Besides, she was the one who told me about all the medicinal, healing properties.   Maybe she wants to keep me around after all.

Other than that,  Stockings,  Scoring SAT and dealing with the rain is about all our boring lives have to offer.   I have not seen the hummers nor the Garden Spider in two days now.   Perhaps they have moved on to better surroundings.    It is that time of the year to begin Migration plans.  Other than the rain,  I'm enjoying the mid-temps and cool zephyrs.  (The only vocab word  I remember from Sophomore English class!)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails