Wednesday, October 17, 2018

The Superstitions of Marathon-er's

The Runner's High Continues
Cheryl has discovered her
Spirit Animal!  
As we rest and recover from our Big Event last weekend,  Cheryl and I have been reflecting on many things about the race and why we both feel a sense of great accomplishment. There are perhaps many things that lead us to feel this monumental achievement for such a small and seemingly insignificant race up in the north,  but here are a few things that we have noted.

The Curse has been lifted!
For me,  I feel like a curse has been lifted.  I think Cheryl feels the same way.  Boston was our last and by far Worst marathon.   She has signed up for five marathons between April 2017 and last weekend, and none of them have happened.  Injury, car trouble, work or insufficient funds have all been reasons for the deferment.   Add in that none of those marathons had Cheryl reach her peak training and fitness levels.  She either could not complete the training circuit... or she got hurt during it.
Goals are like Mountains.  Meant to be conquered! 

For this Marathon, the goal was simple:  Back to basics.   Finish the marathon!   After that goal,  try to qualify for Boston again.  After that...  Try to set a PR without dying, breaking or jeopardizing the first two goals.



I finally get to tell everyone about the Marathon!  Yeah for ME! 

One of the things about this Marathon was Cheryl wanted NO ONE to know about it.   Possibly because she did not want to fail, yet again, to even show up at the start line.  But I think runner's superstition was becoming entrenched.
All Runners have them. I guess.

There are many "superstitions" that I guess runners have.   (I know this because I have read articles and blog postings.) Several of then are shared by Cheryl. 
Never wear race Jacket
while scraping the windows.
1.  Don't wear the medal before finishing the race.
2. Do not wear the race shirt during the race. ( and even before it, unless simply checking it for size.)
3 Do not wear the race Jacket before you complete the race.
And now some probably unique to Cheryl:
4.  Don't tell anyone about the race until after.
5. Nothing new on race day.
Never wear Racing Shirt
During training run. 
6. Stay focused on the race, you can shop and celebrate all day afterward.
7.  And finally,  All encompassing:  Never celebrate too early.  These are just wise words.   No one likes braggarts.  Especially when they end up not completing the task.  Then it is just plain humiliating.
Never smile for the camera.

Never look like you are struggling. 
I'm sure there are other ones Cheryl is not telling me.  Like shoe choice, socks,  braids, even pre race donuts!   Mostly, I was tired of being sworn to secrecy about the whole ordeal.   I didn't want to be the cause of any jinxing.  But I also have to have things to blog about and I enjoy bragging FOR Cheryl.



Always run towards the Sun.
Be sure to eat plenty of
Mushrooms!
But with the race officially over... With 2 out of the three goals met,  I feel that we are back in he saddle again.   Cheryl has qualified for Boston THREE TIMES now...And for this reason, Cheryl now wears her Boston Race Jacket, shirt, and shorts proudly.   We were both talking how all of our achievements seem to always be tainted somehow.  The Boston Marathon was just like that:  She finished... But with a crappy time,  while walking most of it, and being passed by many of the "charity racers".

I'll be sure to tell everyone 100 years from now. 
 I keep telling her in 100 years, no one will even remember that she crashed at Boston...  They will only see that jacket and medal and marvel at the achievement.  (Because,  I'll make sure Cheryl is wearing the jacket at her funeral!  With the medal.)   I think that is what every Marathoner would want.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails