Monday, October 8, 2018

The Flood Stage Can Exit Stage Left... Any Time Now.

Cheryl!  The cause of it all!
Running in the rain
What a Week...End?   I think the rain started Wednesday and has not stopped since only a few hours ago.   It is projected to continue to rain every day this week until Thursday... I think/hope.  I normally enjoy overcast rainy days...but several days in a row can really start to wear on you.
And autumn color.

Sidewalks covered in water.

The water has to go somewhere... Or does it?   The ground feels like you are walking in the Muskag of Alaska. Spongy. Squishy. Muddy.  With lots and lots of puddles.

Really DEEP water.
Another section closed!
So how has this effected the running/biking lately?   Not as much as you might think.   We continue to run... in the rain and wind and cold.   Not my choice, mind you.   I think we all know the real reason behind this craziness.


And another! 
And ANOTHER! 
But the rain has caused a few unpredicted hiccups.   Namely, our trail continues to shrink!   First it was the "park" that was blocked off by the rising river.   This cut off about a mile and a half from our normal mileage.  Then it became the "bridge" area next to the river.    This forced us to take a detour, but we were able to continue with the normal route... just in a different order.

Bridge closed. Coralville.

At least the ducks like it. 
But now,   There have been several NEW areas that are no longer accessible.  Our once lovely and elegant figure 8 running route has become a squiggly line of back tracking and repeats.  Not to mention I can no longer enjoy hunting for mushrooms while riding along the river!

Water at the Bridge Limit.
PRetty fast too. 



The sidewalks look more like rivers... Even when it is not raining!    The water flows down them and carries flooded worms and leaves downstream. The Coralville trail is under water as well.  We can not even access "The Hills" because the water is right at the bridge level.

River runs down the Sidewalk
Cheryl runs down the river.



The water has also being effecting the wildlife.   We have seen Turkeys and Foxes within the city limits!   Seeing the fox was cool.

Splashy splash. 
The cold and wet finally get to her. 
You don't see foxes everyday, but they do seem more common in Iowa than Michigan ( purly subjective, I know.) The turkey has been in the same spot thre days in a row now.   A Huge Tom with a long beard.   Very striking!

Problems with the signal.
Dog Stinkhorn in our yard,
All that flooding and rain have messed with our lives in other ways besides running.   Cheryl has been having trouble receiving a signal with the rain and overcast clouds getting in the way.  With Christmas Stockings selling and people asking questions,  the lack of internet is getting under her skin.    We have to sit by the window and quickly copy the orders before the signal disappears.   Currently,  the sun is shining and the signal is "good", so I'm betting the dismal weather is the cause for the problems.

Common Stinkhorn with spores missing.
Common Stinkhorn Egg.  
With the exception of the various Stinkhorns, there has not been much in the way of Mushrooms.   The park, our yard, and a few locations on the non-flooded trail have provided me with the barest minimum  of entertainment. 

Cheryl finds them 
And points them out to me. 
 Cheryl has become very good at discovering the Stinkhorn eggs.  These are considered a "delicacy" in some parts of the world.   Have you ever noticed that "delicacy" seems to be code for "gross food that is either rare or overpriced."  I know the Stinkhorn is edible, but the flavor is an "aquired" taste.   Like formented duck eggs.


Another set of Stinkhorns and eggs. A Delicacy?


Puffball.  Much tastier.
Still white inside!
 For the most part, it may be a while before I dig one of the stinkhorn eggs up and eat it.  Until then, I will stick  to Puffballs.   (Yummy Puffballs!)

With the break in the weather, I have been trying to acomplish little things around the apartment on the outside.  One of those things was taking down the tomato garden.  I have been utting it off for several reasons.  One, being the weather.   But another one was I did not want to dislodge the Spider. (Called the Banded Garden SpiderArgiope trifasciata )  What a great  name!


Banded Garden spider. 
I had to move her to the Creeper.
She has been keeping the Bald Faced Hornets in check as I drive them away from the hummingbird feeders.  The neighbor does not like such a large spider being so close to the building, so I have been "defending" her for almost a week, telling the neighbor that I would move her to a less threatening location.  Well,  with the garden being tore up, it was time to find Charlotte a new home.  She had just made a new web too.   I felt bad, but I moved her with care to the Cardinal creeper.   She sat on one of the leaves and watched me as I pulled up all the Tomato vines and chucked them into the compost area.  I felt a little sad for her.    Hopefully she will create a nest somewhere in the vine and continue her Hornet Maintanence program.  I'll try to help her out as much as I can.

She looked sad.  I hope she likes her new home. 

One last little tidbit.   A few days ago, I mentioned the hummingbirds fighting and causing one to hang upside down for  almost an hour.


Because the Old one is gone. 





Well,  while clearing the tomato vines,  I discovered the carcass of a hummingbird... clinging to the vine upside down.   I'm not familiar with the situation, but will hummingbirds die if they continue to hang upside down?  I'm pretty sure the spider had nothing to do with this. ( even though she may be large enough to tackle one, if it got stuck in her web.)   I have been looking online and it appears that hummers "Sleep" upside down.  I don't know if I buy that fully, after witnessing the full out brawl a few days prior.

What ever caused this, I will keep an eye out for any more upside down hummingbirds and right them up immediately this time.  Even if they are sleeeping,  I'm sure they will forgive my wake up call. Hummingbirds have a tough enough time without having to be bullied or killed by their own kin!  Besides,  I enjoy their presences.  Thanks for stopping in.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails