Thursday, October 18, 2018

My Pet Spider Returns.

She is BACK! 
A few days ago, I had to forcibly move ( evict) my Argiope aurantia from my garden.   I carefully moved her to the cardinal creeper and have not seen her since.   Well yesterday,  She had returned! 

In the same location.
Parked on the last remnants of the Hosta stems,  she has created a web in almost the same place she was located before. Talk about devotion!   I'm sure with the tomato vines gone, the area looks quite different than the old hood did.  Well, that is what happens with change.

I'm very happy to see her return, because the temps have been Cold here this entire week.   Frost and freezing temps have totally squashed my Cardinal creeper.  I'm surprised and impressed that she continues to fight on.    To reward and encourage her in her new digs,  I wanted to give her a house warming present.  ( Also, I felt bad for moving her and destroying her old home to begin with!)  How about ringing that dinner bell!
Bugs that are tough to catch!

Finding food for your spider is a lot tougher than you might think.   First, there are not as many bugs around as there were several weeks ago.  And the ones that are around are wiley!    I tried in vain to catch some boxelder bugs and pill bugs.   Tough!   They evade and then.. After several failed attempts, fly away well before you even get close.  Time to call in the Heavy Weaponry!

Time to whip out the BIG GUNS!

Taking aim. Boom!
With the aid of the Bugzooka,  I have the confidence that I can capture an insect worthy of my queen Garden Spider.   I simply had to find a warm sunny spot where flies congregated to gather warmth. 

Aim the Cocked and Loaded Bugzooka at the intended target.
Flies are on the menu.

Ant Alate Smorgasbord.
And BOOM!   Dinner is served!

Unfortunately, the flies got wise to my shenanigans as well, and it became difficult to capture even the smallest of them.   Also, her web was tilted on an angle, so the first several bugs I tossed in did not get stuck.   Eventually, I found an ant colony in nuptual flight.   Cheryl hates it when these alates get in our apartment.   I'm sure the ant colony can spare a few offerings this late in the year.
Wrapping up dinner!
Who doesn't want a pet mantis?


I'm not sure how long these spiders have, but with the temps continuing to drop, and the lack of potential meals flying around, I'm guessing it will be tough for a spider when the snow flies.
Nature at my finger tips! My destiny. 
 In the mean time, I get to help her out and relive some of my fondest boyhood memories.   Because I used to keep preying mantises, spiders, and caterpillars as pets when I was a kid. You could say I was destined to be in the field of Biology in some capacity.  Cheryl says I can have fun,  as long as the Spider stays outside.   I think I can  handle that.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails