Tuesday, April 21, 2020

A Second Date With Subie.

Good Thing too... I like
Grease and Oil...Not Blood.
Chariot of the gods!  Mostly lesser
gods....And with less Flames....
A second date with my favorite car?  I'm elated!  Anyone who has ever owned a Subaru has to know the joys of owning one and being able to work on it with your own hands.  If they haven't... they are certainly missing out. (Or their Subaru is so dependable..it never breaks.) I think about all those years...wasted!   Not knowing how to change the oil in the Subie.   Now,  I almost (almost)  wish for something to go wrong so I can fix it. (It is an older car..so now thing actually do!)    Is that strange?  It is a mixed emotion for sure.  I love Subie working properly, but can't wait to get my hands dirty under the hood.   Good thing I'm not a Doctor!  


This Morning's Wildlife
Sighting....
Cheryl is ready to run!
With all that,  I will begin with our morning run in Iowa City this morning.   A pleasant day, a bit cooler...But we managed 7 miles again.   As we left the park,  Workers were installing "One Way"  Signs around the paths.   Looks like Cheryl and I will be avoiding Iowa City in the Coming weeks.  I'm not sure how "one way" signs for walkers, cyclist, and runners are going to stop the spread of the virus.  Now we will have a sign to "Show" us the proper walking direction on the trail....
Finishing 7 miles. 
  I will just have to "trust" the wise and all knowing politicians who edict policy from on high.  If that last bit sounded a little snarky and satirical.... well that is the house arrest effect.   Granted,  here in Iowa,  Things are much rosier than in other states... But I digress....


12 bit vs hex...  Makes a Difference. 
Brake shoes are Totally Worn. 
After the run/bike,  I was able to do the rear driver side brakes on the car.   I thought it would be easier than last time... But it was not.  The bolts holding on he Caliper Bracket were frozen on and I was rounding off the edges with my 12 point socket.  I ended up going to NAPA Again....  for a new 14 mm Socket with a basic hex shape.  Thankfully,   it worked out!  But not before a little blood, a lots of profanity, and about half a can of WD40.  

Thankfully Subaru has a Mechanism
that makes it possible with 14 mm
bolts. 
I had to Press off the Rotor.  
With the Bracket off, I could focus on the rotor, which was not very giving this time.  I had to use the bolt method to press it off the hub.   

Parking Brake exposed. 

Cut off Retaining Pin!  Stubborn!
Then on to the Parking Brake!   Again,  I thought it would be easier... It was not.   The springs and the retainer pins were irritable.   I ended up having to cut the retaining pin off with my Dremel... and that took forever! 

New Brake Shoes and New
Rotor assembled.
New Parking Brake Shoes and
Springs assembled!
But alas,  It all worked out... sort of.  I patched everything together only to discover that the parking brake no longer works!.   You see,  I error-ed on the side of caution by adjusting the springs to the lowest level. ( or nearly as low...) This would prevent the brakes from rubbing and grinding the inside of the drum/rotor.  Unfortunately,  They were adjusted down so low, they no longer engage when I set the brake now.   
Evening Bike Ride
Casting Long Shadows. 
It's fine..for now.  I can adjust them later when I rotate the tires in the future.  I never really use the Parking brake anyway. 


Just like the Book. 
Norwegian Apple Tart
And after all of that,  Cheryl and I went for a Bike ride.   Where does she get the energy?   She not only baked another Cranberry Almond Bread ( Which is AWESOME!)   She also baked an Apple Tart.  Which is ... ok.  Both of us agree that this recipe has a few shortfalls. (Not much sugar...too much Cinnamon!)   But it is good and tasty.   It looks good and is exactly how we both imagine it was meant to be.  

So much fun in one day!   It is supposed to rain tomorrow... so we are hoping it will trigger a few mushrooms to peek out.  We are planning a Mushroom Hunt on Thursday.... One day of 70 degrees and rain for the mushrooms to grow... and one day to find them.   We shall see if lady luck is on our side.  Thanks for stopping in. 

1 comment:

Far Side of Fifty said...

Oh my that tart looks yummy! Cheryl is a very talented baker! Glad you survived the brake pad change...sounds like it was more of a challenge! I hear warm weather is coming today! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails