Sunday, March 7, 2021

Big Cat Weekend!

Today's Chalk Art

 Why do all of my Big Cat paintings look like Tigers?  I don't know.  Nor do I really care.   There is no right or wrong answer.   Or so my "Life Coach" tells me.  (Hmm.. Was that Yoda?) 

Unfinished Yesterday.

I started this little painting yesterday, after trying to step away from the "cartoon" part of chalk drawing.  It was a wonderful day,  upper 50's I think.  But everyone in town was out and about and wanted to chat.  I don't want to be rude... nor do I like crawling on the ground without any breaks... So I indulged them.  But time waits for no man.... and as the sun dipped below the treeline,  I called it for the evening.  Looks like this would be a two-parter. 

Completed!

Today... Less distractions.  Fewer people.   Warmer weather with sunshine!   I didn't have to do much to finish it off and, in no time.  I had something that almost looked like the picture I was inspired by.  

Tigers have stripes!

Now,  Be honest.   Can you see the Tiger?  It is not supposed to be a tiger.  Tiger's have furrier jowls. And Stripes! Instead of Spots... But there is not much to distinguish this cat from the "actual" model... which was a Jaguar.  ( It is just a head and a bit of shoulder, after all....)  If you guessed a Leopard,   I'm fine with that.   Jaguars are simply leopards that swam  to  South America, after all.  (Don't quote me on that...  I get all of my information from Animal Planet, and not from World Animal Science.) 
Close enough! 

Bottom line!  If you encounter a big cat... Like this... In the jungle...  Are you really going to debate on what type it is?   Pause for a second while you page through your "Field guide to Jungle Animals" to determine if it is dangerous?   

The Original Inspiration.

 

 

 

 

I mean,  that is what I would do.  But I'm a little strange. "Hmm.. Leopards have brown-ish spots surrounded by black circles.  (flip, flip, flip...) Jaguars have black circles with lighter colored fur inside.   Or are totally black... Or are cream colored similar to a North American Puma or Mountain Lion....Tiger's, on the other hand.. are found in India..   Yeaaahaaaaha!" 


 Also,  Jaguars don't usually hunt and eat people.  Tigers DO!

Otherwise,  we visited Muscatine yesterday,   Ran down the River.  Ate Pizza.  Shopped for Cat food and beer.   The Normal stuff. We enjoy Muscatine. 


I'll have to work on my chalk possibly tomorrow. ( I need a better red!)  And my next design.  I'm hoping some kids will join in on the park-side graffiti train. There is a lot of sidewalk that needs color.  It is almost too much for one man!

2 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

Looks like a scary big cat to me! You are too critical of your work:).

Val Ewing said...

We are our own worst critics aren't we? Beautiful work.
Would I stop to see what kind of cat it was? Nah.
I'd get a very very big long lens to see through or binoculars!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails