Thursday, October 29, 2009

To stain or to paint. That is the question.

Well I finished her up tonight. I debated for a while if I should just stain her and leave it at that, but the mottled color of the wood made her look deformed. I tried a darker stain but still was not satisfied, So I made the leap into paint. The flesh, hair and face were easy enough, but the body was a bit of a challenge. I still don't know if I'm satisfied with it, but I can aways repaint it. Cheryl suggested blue, but she ended up looking like wonder woman or a female version of the TICK! Then I toned it down with a greener glue and that seemed to work...for the moment. I really like the way the face turned out. And perhaps some day, I'll be able to display a full nude female in our front yard without any complaints from the neighbors. She looks like a ship mast head. One of the ultimate goals of my carving career would be to carve up one some day. Until then, I'll just keep practicing.

2 comments:

Handi said...

Ethan,

Not too Shabby my Friend. not sure if I like the colors, but a great job!

Handi

diy said...

Are you serious that neighbours might object to a nude wood carving? If so they have got problems. Aw well thats just my take.

A ships figure head is a big understaking, I've never done one. A friend, Susan Matrix completed one recently and I was really impressed.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails