Saturday, February 7, 2009

Makework day

Today is one of those days where you feel like you should do something, but really do not have anything you HAVE to do. So I have only one seat to do this weekend. and that will wait till Sunday, But in the mean time, We have too many bills to pay and not enough money left over to justify buying more wood for boxes or seats for new designs. So, I have been trying to mess around in my shop to make something out of my scrap pieces of Oak. Since most of the scraps are just that, they are proving to be a challenge to make anything that looks presentable. I decided to try my hand at a new style of box tonight, and, once again, it's proving to be quite the challenge. It was going to be a sliding box so I could cut out the hardware. but it's a challenge cutting and hiding the slot. Ah well. At least the cats are keeping me company. They make even blogging a challenge. Here's why....

4 comments:

Jimmy "Handi" Warner said...

Ethan: here is a Simple solution to the problem you are having...

Make a Sliding door.. Cut a Rabbit in the sides so you have a little tab there on both sides...

Then the sides before you assimble them, cut a Grove in the sides for the lid to slide front and back, so you can pull out or push it in.

It will be simular to a Mortis an tenon.

The boxes look Great thou by the way!

Handi

raccoonlover1963/Lisa Myers said...

Hi Ethan.
I'm still trying to figure out how the cats could possibly make your work a challenge! :))
Take care and have a great week.
Lisa

The Great Ethan Allen said...

Jimmy, You probably can't tell from the picture, but that is what I'm trying...A sliding top. It's a lot more difficult than I first thought. But It is my first attempt. I'm sure I will figure out the little fixes to the problems. ( my book is rather "unhelpful" with this design.) This one might be salvabeable, but not sellable.

The Great Ethan Allen said...

Lisa, The cats sit on my lap and walk on the keyboard while Im typing. They are great when I'm not typing, but they figet when I use the keyboard. You should see the blog entries of my shop cat! The pictures speak volumes!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails