Monday, July 6, 2009

More Tree Carving!

This IS a carving blog after all! So I spent a small portion of the day hunched over this log shaping it into something more presentable. Not much to show really. With the bugs and uncomfortable position, It makes working a little more challenging. ( I don't know how those carvers in India do it with just a mat to crouch down on.) Well, at least the form is taking shape. I have been studying the wood, namely that the center is mostly damaged by fungus, making it more like cork than oak. ( notice the mask to help show where the face is going to be.)So I have to avoid going in too deep. Also there is a lovely knot that looks like an arm that I am trying to incorporate in the form. I'll have to See how much I have to work on it to make it look right. The rest of the night was spent sharpening the chisels that get dull from dropping them on the concrete ( GRRR!) Oh! And the last 4 episodes of Claymore are out! You can find them on UberAnime.com It's a great series! and I would recommend seeing them all! Enjoy! Ep 23 C22 Uber-Anime.com!

5 comments:

diy said...

Would you keep posting on this project. I can n't tackle anything of this size, too bloody old now. So the next best thing is reading bout how your doing it.

paintingpam said...

Love the pics. Keep it up!

cabin + cub said...

Cool! It reminds me of the totem pole carvers here on the west coast of BC. I have seen that they sometimes have their poles/trees up on supports, which would be back saving! ;)

The Great Ethan Allen said...

I have been thinking about how I can elevate the log a bit. The darn thing is HEAVY! I'm thinking 600 lbs at least. If you read the previous post, I had to roll it the whole way because picking it up with any wagon or handcart was out of the question. I'll probably just tough it out as it is.

Christina Silverio said...

Oooo, I love this! It's coming along wonderfully! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails