Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Third acanthus leaf! I just can't get enough!

Tonight's project was to be a little more simple on the design, and to pay attention more to the slope of the work. That means that Cheryl suggested I have one of the main veins be the "top" of the piece while sloping the rest of the leaves downward to the base. My last one seemed to have the leaves slope up more at the end. This makes it a challenge to undercut them without popping the tip of the leaf off! It went pretty much the same way it did last time, but I have to vent here a little...How the heck do they get such accuracy in those little cracks and crevasses? There must be a secret that the books are not letting on. Either that or the chisels are really not much faster than a Dremel. Now I know chisels are faster on larger pieces, but these little guys seem to take longer than I plan. Having no one else to compare myself too, I can only compare to how long it takes me to carve a toilet seat. However, having said all that, it still is rather fun, and nice not to have to wear a dust mask, earplugs, and eye protection to carve a simple piece. Oh! I found some more cool carved furniture out there. One of these days I'll have to take a picture of a Gothic dragon chair that my dad has up north. I'm not sure who made it, but I love the basic concept. Well, until then, here is one I found online.

No comments:


Related Posts with Thumbnails