Monday, December 28, 2009

Bandsawing a log! What fun!

Well, kinda anyways....So we took a trip to my brother-in-law's ( Andy) workshop because he has a 12 inch band saw and I had some maple logs I wanted to experiment on. The Goal was to cut them all into nice 3/4 inch boards. The previously posted YouTube videos made it look like it should take more more than a few minutes per log. Then.... reality struck! Well, on the positive side, I was able to see first hand how it was done, and we cut up one log with no major incidents. The down side was it took about an hour to do one log! I decided to spare Andy the trouble of cutting up all the logs I brought and just charted this one up as a "hands on" learning experience. It was kinda fun though and I now have a better idea of the type of band saw I want and the type of band saw blade we will probably need for a job like this. I'd like to thank Andy for his patients and the use of his shop. I doubt he would ever have attempted something like that on his own without my persistent nagging. My new goal is to get a band saw! I simply must have one and the only limit at this time is the price for the "right" one. We'll see how it goes!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails