Wednesday, January 20, 2010

The Joy of Carving End Grain

So tonight I worked on a new project idea. Basically slicing a maple log and making a box similar to the previous ones. I figured it would be a bit of a challenge, and I'm sure there are still some surprises that I will have to discover. But the real challenge is working with the end grain of the wood. The chisels slice through it easy enough, but when I am cutting any other way other than towards the middle, the ends split! So it is challenging to get a good undercut of the carving. No matter, I just have to choose simpler carvings to do. The maple leaf turned out pretty good. Even Cheryl was impressed. I still have to figure out just how deep I want to route out the bottom, And I still have to install the hinges. All this and hope that it won't split or warp. I guess there is just no way to figure it out until you build one!

1 comment:

diy said...

Your a brave one, carving the end grain.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails