Monday, January 11, 2010

Learning the router, by trial and error.

No matter how many times I watch certain videos and read up on books, It really takes getting your hands dirty to figure somethings out. Tonight was the great lesson in router use. There just is so much to learn, but I would be happy with perfecting just a few common simple tricks. Take the box joint. Tonight I worked on and now have a pretty good grasp on how to make a box joint using the router. It took a few tries, and the joint is actually pretty tight even though it might not look it in the picture. There are a few things I still have to work out. Like "tear out"....So I used a push block, and blue tape. but it didn't work out very well. I also tried to make some hinges out of smaller pieces, but the router tore them up. Eventually I created a sled that has potential, but it got to late to take any pics of them. I was using a slide bar with a false fence. But the sled seems to be more practical and easier to use. I'll have to take some pics of it tomorrow. And hopefully I'll be able to build something instead of waste my time learning what "not" to do.

1 comment:

L. D. said...

Good job! I haven't bought a router so far, but I need to. I see the pbs guys use them all the time to make their pieces stronger. I don't even know where to start and I would have to buy a table I assume. Good for you in having a new adventure with wood.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails