Tuesday, January 19, 2010

When wood replaces plastic

Tonight I had a request from the neighbor to make a replacement arm for his chair. As you can see the plastic one could not handle the stresses over time. Even my chair has had it's base replaced when one of the plastic legs broke. Anyway, I thought it would be a nice project for the night so I gave it a go. After cutting the pieces, I made a series of lap joints held with glue and screws. He didn't mind much about the cosmetics of it, but I wanted it to at least look presentable. After that I cut a box joint for the arm and cleaned it up with a chisels. I had to recess the holes for the bolts so they would fit inside the extra thick wood. I took it over to him and everything lined up and fit pretty good! ( I'm impressed!) It looks a little lop sided for the moment. if the other one breaks, then perhaps we can make a matching one. I also worked a little on some new box ideas. I don't have pics yet, but perhaps tomorrow.... Till then, have a great one!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails