Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Forget the carving.. Have you seen the plane?

Five seats tonight! I still have 7 seats for tomorrow, but we will be out of boxes after the ones that I carved tonight go out. However, I have been working on making my own wood plan for the last couple of days. I finally got it completely assembled and now have to fine tune it to make it work properly. This was not made from a kit, but rather scraps of wood that I had in my shop. I figured if I built it poorly, I could always start over. Believe it or not, it works! Sort of. I get about one stroke out of it before the iron slips. I probably have to redesign the wedge. Oh well! I will have plenty of time to tinker with it and It might come in handy later on. I most likely will not use it for any major jobs, just small ones, like flattening a dowel or rounding over an edge. I still have to shape it a bit as well.

4 comments:

diy said...

Looks like the bee's knees to me. More importantly you made it your self.

Handi said...

Ethan: Nice work, I've yet to give it a try, I've been wanting some Plans for my Shop.

But don't have money to buy them, so I thought of making them... Nice work so far.

Handi

Bob Tinsley said...

Looks great, Ethan. Maybe you can coach me when I build my own plane.

Bob

The Great Ethan Allen said...

Hey guys! Thanks for the input. The plans are out there with a nice video from "Hock Plane Kit" I didn't get around to tinkering with it tonight, but I have a better understanding if I want to attempt another one. I'll see if I can find the video and post it

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails