Tuesday, October 12, 2010

An Evening Walk In Farmland

Iowa is all about farmland. And with the harvest under way, Cheryl and I have taken a liking to quiet walks along the various gravel roads around town. The air has been fairly cool, making the walks pleasant and enjoyable. There are occasionally a few things that break the silence like the farmers dog or the tractor that is spreading fertilizer. The butterflies are mostly gone now, but there are still some cool things to find like these small snakes that come out to warm up on the road in the last few hours of sunlight. This makes for a few moralities when the large tractors do come along. I have seen snakes that survive when they have a tip of their tail crushed. Hopefully this guy will fair as well. Cheryl is skeptical. Not much else to say for the moment, but at least I remembered to bring my camera on this walk. Hope everyone is having a great week so far.

1 comment:

L. D. said...

I get baby garter snakes like this all through my yard but I don't think that looks like a garter. The limestone dust is a real Iowan experience.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails