Sunday, October 3, 2010

The Great Bluegill Idea for Aquaculture

I'm sure that there are times when reason and sanity are placed on the shelf for one to follow a dream, There are always people who will tell you that you can't do something or that it is impossible. And these people might be highly respected, very intelligent folks who have played around with your idea before on a small scale. However, history and especially America, is full of stories of self made men who, against all odds, fought for an idea to become reality and achieved it! They are hailed as visionaries who had "insight" into a certain subject and saw things that no other person could. I'm saying all this because for the longest time, I have thought that the humble bluegill could be grown as a food fish for people. I still believe that they have a great potential to become common in households and on tables around the country. In fact, they probably already are for sportsmen. There are more than a few hurdles that I have to conquer before I can realize this idea. For one, I need to inspire others and get the idea out there. second, I have to find people who grow the fish ( they exist! In Ohio.) Then I need to create a market for these fish. Most people I fear, do not know how to cook them or even that they are edible. Bluegills are one of the simplest fish to cook up! So, without making this blog post too long, I will try to make this a subject that I will come back to time and again. Updating as I hammer out my next phase and see how it goes.

2 comments:

L. D. said...

That is a great platter full of fish. Bluegill is all we ever ate when I was a kid as it was mostly all we would be able to catch.

Handi said...

Ethan, I'm with you on Bluegill. They are a great Panfish. With a little brine, and the right breading with seasoning they are awesome.

I've been wanting to experiment with canning them like Salemon and see how they taste in a pressure cooker.

Haven't been fishing for the last 2 years now so it may be awhile since I odn't have a pressure cooker either.

Handi

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails